Marketing and Whatnot

Yeah I totally agree. I really think we’re at a critical moment in our project’s history where we have the potential to develop into a self sufficient community, with regular updates, a healthy base of developers, and a devoted fanbase. I’m on a trip for the time being, but that should actually free me up more than restrict me, because it means I have a lot of time to spare in the mornings and evenings.

I’m a bit confused as to what you mean with the guidelines thing, could you clarify?

I can see some major objectives we can set for ourselves while we wait for the bugfixing of the current release:

1. Grow our team with reliable developers:
    This is pretty much always applicable, but it never hurts to restate it. I think now it is especially important because we are at the point where bacteria, new organelles, an agent system, deformable cells, and all these other cool features are just a developer’s work away, whereas for most of the project’s history they’ve simply been wishful conceptualizing. But this leads into the next point…
  2. Keep our team reliable:
    This isn’t in reference to who we have right now, who are an amazing team and I’m really glad to be working with, but rather the new people who join who leave so quickly without doing any work or really giving any notice. We obviously can’t force people to work on a volunteer project, but it would really help to know why new developers don’t stick around for that long, and what we could do to fix that. As I suggested in Slack, the steps I think we can take to address this are to:
    A. Keep tabs on new people by having someone assigned to check up on them and shoot them an email if they disappear for a while.
    B. Assign tasks (based on their interests) with loose deadlines. E.g. Could you try to finish a new animated model for the flagellum in the next 2 weeks?
    C. Keep recruiting more people. People will eventually leave the project, and to fill this deficit we need to have a steady supply of new developers taking the helm.
    D. Check up on old developers. We did this a while back, and I think we should try it again, because there are many developers we gained in the past few months that we haven’t heard from anymore. I’ll post more about this on the Outreach channel in Slack.
2 Likes

Given how in the past a few promotions on our behalf haven’t exactly gone smoothly or presented us in the best light (see here and here for example), guidelines on what to say might be helpful. We also want people to get correct answers to their questions, which more often than not would be best coming from developers or moderators, which is why sending people with questions to the community forums is one possible option.

And yeah, all your ideas sound great. As stated before I’m always perplexed that so many people apply to join, seem incredibly enthusiastic, then disappear within a few days. It’s like a conspiracy or something. While we have no hard feelings towards people who do that, it would benefit us to know why.

I was going to mention contacting old devs too at some point. That should probably wait, like most things right now, until the release is done and dusted, which still unfortunately relies on the programmers having free time again. @TheCreator, TheCreator, wherefore art thou TheCreator?

2 Likes

Yeah, turns out taking online classes during the summer is more working than taking normal classes during the rest of the year, so I’m a bit swamped with work, unfortunately. But I guess I could try fixing a couple bugs with the time I have left. Does anyone remember what else there is to do before the release? @Moopli was trying to fix the engulfment bug last time I was actively bug fixing. Is that still a problem, or did the “forgetting to slow down speed when pressing g” problem get fixed? I don’t remember if there was anything else…

I think Nick suggested we look at the template ad again if we’re going to start outreach, so here it is again, with some updates to reflect 0.3.2 and everything. What should be changed about it?

I’m personally still a bit doubtful of how effective such a long ad would be. We might be able to link to Wiki pages in some places instead.

Template Ad

#Thrive - Open-Source Evolution Game

Thrive is a free, open-source game currently being developed by an online volunteer team called Revolutionary Games. Thrive is a game about a species’ evolution from unicellular organisms to galaxy-wide space travel, though for the moment we are heavily focusing on only the microbial section.

Our team seeks to accomplish two major goals: create engaging, compelling gameplay that respects our players’ intelligence, and remain as accurate as possible in our depiction of known scientific theory without compromising the former.

We are currently looking to get new people to join the project with experience in game development. Getting new people will make development easier and faster, and it will add depth to the community to strengthen the project as we continue to work on it.

Development Forums: http://forum.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/

Community Forums: http://thrivegame.freeforums.net/

Code: GitHub - Revolutionary-Games/Thrive: The main repository for the development of the evolution game Thrive.

Getting Started Guide: Getting Started - Thrive

Microbe Stage GDD: Microbe Stage - Thrive

Summary

On an alien planet not too dissimilar to ours, a new phenomenon has emerged: life. Simple unicellular organisms drift among the primordial currents, competing for the ocean’s scant resources, replicating with mutations driven by the forces of evolution. New biological developments, such as toxins and flagella, have instigated a state of evolutionary warfare. A struggle for nutrients rages over million-year timescales. Only the best adapted may survive.

From this microscopic battlefield contained within a puddle, organisms vie for an advantage, some working together to achieve their goals in the harsh environment. Others are predatory, extracting their nutrients from other cells. Eventually, only one species will achieve the crucial transformative step – multicellularity.

For this valiant organism, a new chapter awaits in their own saga of life.

Gameplay Overview

Here is the current concept for the first stage of the game (the only one we’re realistically considering for the time being). For a more detailed guide, see the GDD link above.

In the microbe stage, the player’s species is a unicellular organism exploring a tide pool populated by other microbe species, simpler life-forms and floating organelles.

Distributed throughout this environment in various forms (including other microbes) are compounds necessary to a species’ survival, such as oxygen, glucose and ammonia. The player must collect these to keep their own ATP stores (equivalent to energy) high – organelles inside microbes simulate their metabolism, with compounds combined, stored and converted in accordance with known organic chemistry. Some of these can even be turned into agents/toxins, which influence surrounding microbes in a variety of ways.

Once enough compounds are collected and converted to a locked-up form, the player can enter the editor. Mutation Points act as a mutation currency, preventing wild changes to the organelles and shape of a microbe within one generation. New organelles (unlocked from the environment) can be added based on a hexagonal grid, and eventually upgraded to be more efficient. With one generation’s changes complete, the player re-enters the environment.

At the same time, AI microbe species will be evolving via a procedurally generated interpretation of Darwinian evolution (affectionately called Auto-Evo). Their generation time can be modified beforehand to change the difficulty, as the player will be directly competing with them for resources, or working with them in a symbiotic relationship should they so choose. Eventually this feature will grow in importance, with agent signals released by microbes to keep colonies intact. This is the first step towards multicellularity, needed to progress to the next stage of the game.

Who We’re Looking For

As an open-source project, we’re keen to welcome skilled individuals to the team who are free to contribute as much or as little as they wish. Our core team features members of all the development areas listed below, many of whom have been with the project for a long time. We are always looking for more people with proven game development skills to help out and we are keen to help new members of the team settle in and get up to speed. How much you contribute is entirely up to you - we appreciate any help, no matter how small.

Those with only ideas to give and no ability to implement them are likely to be turned down, as this has been a major recurring problem in the project’s history. Consequently, we’d prefer it if you can give some evidence of your skill in a particular area when applying.

These are the roles we’re mostly looking for, although you can find a full list of possible roles on our Wiki here. We’re also open to more roles we haven’t thought of if they could be useful.

• Programmers - Our custom engine is programmed in C++, while scripting is done with Lua (using LuaBind). We’ll soon be tackling some fairly difficult implementation, but most work, generally quite easy, is in Lua. We are also looking for a developer specializing in Mac conversions, as our releases so far have only covered Windows and Linux. A full list of code dependencies is available to view on our GitHub repository. If you aren’t up to actually helping with the code, we’re also on the lookout for code assistants who can help others understand the code and troubleshoot building problems.
  • 3D Modelers - Skill with almost any major tool will do, and we’ll eventually need particularly talented artists able to create models which look good even under heavy deformation. We use Ogre3D for graphics rendering, and a tutorial for prospective modelers focused on Blender can be found here.
  • Animators - Linking with the above, the ability to animate 3D models will be incredibly useful, and even those who specialize in other areas will be helpful in creating more features of the game, such as updated opening cutscenes or GUI animations. Accompanying knowledge of the code required for dynamic animations (for instance changing between two animation types seamlessly) will help considerably when rendered organisms are involved.
  • Vector Artists - The in-game GUI is for the moment largely a placeholder, and a huge amount of work is in order for later stages’ interfaces. We use CEGUI in conjunction with Lua scripting, so anyone with additional knowledge of XML or UX we will likely beg to join. Even if you’re not familiar with CEGUI, you can still help design basic concepts or mock-ups, or even learn the process of implementation yourself through this tutorial.

If you want to help out, either reply here or read this page to get up to speed with development.

Current Progress and Future Goals

As of right now, we’ve had several release iterations, the latest of which can be found here. If you have issues running the game, we’d appreciate it if you file a bug report here with as much detail as possible.

Our latest release features compound clouds, a tutorial, a process system overhaul and several other features (described in detail here), plus all the features of our previous downloads:

• Player and AI cells
  • Basic compound processing
  • Microbe editor
  • Procedural non-dynamic membrane
  • Organelle models (including two unlockables)
  • Offensive engulfment and toxins
  • Varying AI for different NPC species
  • Music and sound effects

Our current short-term goal is to refine and eventually complete our current unicellular game stage. Implementing planned gameplay is next on the agenda, with improvements to the editor, free-living bacteria, combat involving synthesised agents and revamped systems for health, death and reproduction.

All our code is covered by the GPL licence, while the content lies under CC BY-SA.

Feel free to ask questions on anything either here or at one of the locations linked above.

2 Likes

Well since this topic is resurfacing I will say I’m back to work on the promotional video, however I lost all of my work when my computer fried. I am back at it though, with a brand new computer better (and hopefully more hardy) than my last one.

I will keep everyone updated on the old video thread I made way back in the day

2 Likes

Im excited for it.
Are you still working on it?