Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)

Also I’ve been working on some more ambiance and backgroundy stuff as well, so I’ll submit some soon.

Looking forward to hearing it!

A bit dead in here for a while it seems :confused:

Only because I haven’t had time to compose much recently and few other composers have turned up. Feel free to make that activity yourself if you want. :slight_smile:

Since I’ve just finished exams, I have much more free time. I’m first going to put it to use finishing the next version of the Thrive Main Theme, which has languished as a draft for over a year. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to help, let me know.

2 Likes

As it turns out, the project file for the Thrive Main Theme is a mess, so it might take longer than I thought. I’ll be away for a few weeks in two weeks’ time - whether I get it done before then or not, I don’t know. I’ll try to, but wading through my own irresponsibly disordered project is difficult.

1 Like

As I was creating another theme, I found this old thing and did the minimal amount of work towards finishing it:

It’s alright in my opinion, quite atmospheric but not my best in mixing, composition or variation terms. Hopefully people like it.

I’ve also given up on updating the Thrive Main Theme for now. Perhaps I (or someone else?) can return to it in future, but right now it’s like hitting my head against a wall of insufficient strings. I apologise.

A short, unpretentious little theme for plains, because I had an interesting melody-instrument combination and didn’t know what else to do with it.

1 Like

Fidgeting with Fl Studio in-between writing papers. Was originally intending this to be water/microbe-themed but now it has taken on more of a Stellaris space vibe. Hitting a road-block though as I have no idea what else to add (if anything). Will probably figure it out once mid-term break comes around this next week. https://soundcloud.com/badomen/solar-wind

Let me know what you think.

2 Likes

I quite like it. It sounds like a peaceful background track for a space game of some kind. Space stage music?

1 Like

A good start. I like the sounds and chords but feel there’s a lot more that could be done with it, such as more interesting stereo imaging and a less abrupt end. Nice work though.

1 Like

Yea I just put 2 of the same channels end to end so the ending is non-existent atm.

Here’s something I’ve been working on, I don’t think I’m finished with it yet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk1h3iy69vi7plp/test4.mp3?dl=0
I didn’t really have anything in mind when I made this, but it kinda sounds like an underwater theme for the Aware stage.
Thoughts? Anything I should add or change? Or should I scrap this thing entirely because it’s unsalvageably bad

1 Like

Are you kidding? That was very nice indeed. My one critique would be to either lower the volume of or remove some bass frequencies from the pads, because they kind of overpower everything a bit too much. The main piano-synth-like melodies are simple but very well done. I like it a lot.

I agree, very well done. For me there were some points were the reverb got muddied up a bit but that might just be these crappy speakers I have while I’m on break. Otherwise that’s nothing a little EQ or volume mixing couldn’t handle.

I went back to a theme that’s been sitting half finished on my hard drive for about six months. It’s a bit rough in places but works overall.

3 Likes

Can’t believe I forgot to post this here.

3 Likes

Hey guys, I know I haven’t been active for a long time, and I’m sorry for not being able to work on Thrive as much as I’d like. But I’ve recently begun writing music, and I made a new song that I think would be perfect for Thrive:

3 Likes

Pretty impressive for a first attempt!

The motifs and melodies are generally great but the sample/mixing quality lets it down a bit. The piano for instance needs more variation in note velocities - right now it sounds static and robotic, and I think the melody has a lot of potential if played differently. The drums also don’t fit the rest in my opinion.

Also, if this is intended for the game, what part of it?

1 Like

idk tbh, I’m new to making music and not very good at it. I just thought it might be useful, maybe for the civilization stage or something.