Organelle Models

The model itself looks pretty good, though the animation is a tad jerky. Not sure whether or not that’s the gif/video capture or if that’s actually how it looks. Can you actually create a video by pressing the key to the right of render (whatever its called) inside of blender? It might be a good idea to slow it down for the video so that we can see the mesh better.

Sure, here’s it in rendered form so that you can see the model move, I (honestly) think it may be a bit too fast though, So I may edit that in the whole thing : )

1 Like

still a wee jerky, maybe adding some more frames or subsurface scattering it might help

You mean subdivision surface? I don’t think that will make it more smooth. Adding more bones might, but that will make the game run even slower.

It’s kind of hard to see how the model is without seeing it in he game. @ThreeCubed can you export it to the ogre format and switch it with the current one (the animation needs to be called move to not crash the game). No need to worry about the material now.

I was able to export them to Ogre but I am having some issues involving them working in the game, What do you mean by calling the animation “Move”? Also which flagella do I replace? Flagella or flagellum? Replacing flagellum does this: http://puu.sh/qWQkr/fd3bf540e9.jpg

Hey guys, I’ve been working on new organelles lately, here are my latest renders:

Blue Mitochondria:

Green Mitochondria:

Pink Mitochondria:

Purple Mitochondria:

Chloroplast 1:

Chloroplast 2:

And finally the Nucleus, with an Endoplasmic Reticulum:

The white versions are 512 pngs that can be saved right from here and implemented in game. The Nucleus is 1k. They have alpha channels and as images they avoid the hassle of exporting displacement and specularity maps into Ogre, and are more performance friendly than meshes.

3 Likes

I like the first and second mitochondria the best. Definitely the second chloroplast.

I’m not really sure as to whether the images should be so transparent. It gives a more realistic feel, but it’s really different from what we have now, which makes it hard for me to assess how exactly they will look in the game. I guess the best way would be to just try them and see how the cells look. If you have time could you Photoshop them into an existing cell membrane to see how it would look int game?

Finally, the nucleus model looks pretty good, but I’m not sure how well it would fit in with the transparent design. Shouldn’t it at least have a transparent nucleus with some spaghetti chromatin inside?

tl;dr: model look fantastic, but I’m not sure how well they would look in game.

I’ll work on the nucleus, but I made the organelles transparent because I wanted to shift to a new art style. In my opinion, the best style would be colorful and transparent, as it feels realistic whilst still remaining aesthetically pleasing. I hope we as a team can agree on a style so our organelles don’t conflict with each other as they do now.

I’ll see if i can shop these organelles into the membrane, but I do feel that they look far better than the ones I initially made that we’re currently using.

1 Like

I for one agree with this new style.

Ok, here’s mah nucleus. I tried to limit the transparency, since it is the largest and likely thickest organelle. It does have transparency though, and I think it looks pretty nice.

Again, white one has the alpha channel, others are just renders.

1 Like

I like this new transparency style, and I also really like the transparent nucleus, but I don’t know if it’s just me but the chromatin looks like lightning. If others feel like this too could you try it maybe with a dark blue or a dark purple?

I could try that, but the nucleus itself is purple so it wouldn’t show up well, and the base background for Thrive is blue, so again, blue wouldn’t show up well. Maybe a cyan color?

Ok, here’s the nucleus again, this time with Blue and Purple DNA.

Personally I feel neither shows up well, but experimentation is how we come to a conclusion on art style and color schemes.

2 Likes

Belgium that looks beautiful. Now we need to take all of the nucleuses so far (the one by threecubed, atrox, and you) and create a evolutionary line for when updates are in the game.

You mean make an evolutionary line for like, It goes from “This persons” to “this persons” or something else? (Maybe have the nucleus be randomly chosen, who knows)

No, remember the grid system you suggested on slack? We want there to be a visual change with the organelle updates as the cursor moves from the center to one of the corners. To do this I was think of having a separate model/sprite in each corner and in the center, and as the cursor moves around, it linearly interpolates between the different nuclei to create a sense of change. For example, a plain purple sphere could be the default, and as you invest in more mutation points each round by moving the slider, the nucleus becomes darker and becomes closer to the one you made. If you move it in another direction (max possible organelles or something) the nucleus increases in size. Moving it in yet another direction, will make it look like the one Nanu made.

This will all be done via C++, so we don’t actually need the intermediate stages helpfully.

…Thats actually pretty brilliant, I hadn’t thought about the visual differences between the multiple organelles… Would there need to be multiple models for other organelles aswell?

Definitely not in the near future. We just seem to have a bunch of unused models and its a shame to have them go to waste. For things like mitochondria we can just increase it in size and give it a different color.

I didn’t make a nucleus :0 what one of mine are you referring to???

I think going for whats best for the game should be our priority. I wouldn’t mind seeing my old organelles permanently retired. If we do have multiple versions of organelles, they should at least follow the same art style, which at the moment the team seems to agree should be semi transparent.