Organelle Models

So which organelles are meshes and which ones sprites? :smiley:

Edit: that was an actual question. I don’t think the sprites are the ones you think are sprites.

Ok, so i made this model for the bio-luminescent vacuole (apparently that’s a thing now)
and i was hoping to see if it would be right for the game

2 Likes

Could you make a version of it against a black background with light shining from it as if in use?

Here

While editing the wiki, I stumbled across this guide adapted from ~sciocont’s advice on how to accurately design and colour cells and organelles. Might be useful for modellers to think about.

Rules of thumb for asset design:

• Psuedo-randomness. Textures with organic order, e.g. Perlin Noise, Voronoi Textures (useful for GUI) and real-world organism texturing.
  • Uniform sharpness. Texture should contain sharp/bold, medium sharpness or soft edges only. Try sharp edges first and blur to desired degree. Individual objects always have uniform focus, objects blurred depending on distance from camera like microscopic image.
  • Light, desaturated colors. Matches real microbe pigmentation, i.e. mostly transparent.
  • Realistic color types. Avoid purples, pinks or yellows (not found in nature). Focus on blues, greens, reds and pale oranges like this color palette (accented in white). Exceptions can be made where distinction is needed, e.g. a purple nucleus.

1 Like

Hello it is I, Atrox, back with another concept art for the nucleus and rough ER

3 Likes

Alright, i tried making a nucleus based on your concept art.
Basically with the two spheres, and the bumpyness.

Making the ER is gonna be a pain in the ass though.

1 Like

Is it bad that I love the simplicity where the cell wall distorts the inner details? Nice adaptation of the concept but yes the other organelles will be a pain. Not sure if this thread is still being discussed.

I made a new Nucleus texture, because I feel the current one is too dark and too noisy.

Current Nucleus texture for comparison:

2 Likes

it of course looks much better and more organic actually then the old one :slight_smile:

@Untrustedlife Could you take the time to put that in svn over the old texture?

1 Like

Will do

I did that last week or so now, so heres the thing. Guys we need protein models and organelle models @tjwhale mentioned nitrogen fixing plastids? and we need chemoplasts, and an improved toxin vacuole model.

Also if someone could makea cell wall texture thats better then the current one that would be nice.

Sometrhing like the above cell wall (to the right) so rough textured, but solid looking. (so it looks liek a bacterial cell wall), in the code right now the cell walls are solid but smooth:

(see the bacteria above)
They should probabbly be rougher then that.

Reviewing all the new things, the spike is very pointy but the color. It seems a bit out of place. Is there a way we could make it more closely match that of the cell wall to feel more organic?

All we really need is a texture. We can apply organelle colors to it like any other organelle I belive.

Easy enough, just alter the color of the spike or we could even find a way to make it an adaptive choice dependent on the players cell color choice.

New organelle models incoming @sporefox this is s good place to discuss the new stuff

Now that I’ve had time to clean of the rust I am able to work in maya and find ways to get things to work in blender. To start out I took my old practice model of a chloroplast and morphed around a few of the shapes, turning it into the desired chemoplast. If there are any other organelle models needed give me a poke here, on the slack, or discord. I also know how to decrease poly count and will go as low as possible until integrity of form becomes an issue. Going to be fixing the flagellum problem after my lunch here.

2 Likes

Yay for organelle models, now we need someone who will reliably get these moved to ogre who doesn’t have other stuff on their plate.

Think you can do a nitrogen fixing plastid? (dont worry, ill be adding your new models soon lol, the placeholders we have in game rn are starting to bug me)