Working through the Sound Effect Checklist

And without any further wait:

I basically re-did the first sound from above but with a more ‘professional’ tone. In short I made it sound more like the windows system sounds than something from Mario, of course it’s a playlist so decide which one you like best I guess.

Enjoy!

Hahahaha, they’re funny, I like them! So windows.
The first sounds like a “log out” sound, the second like a “YOU HAVE A MESSAGE” thing, the third like a smart-TV menu sound, the 4th ACTUALLY sounds negative (like a desactivation of something), the 5th is like an “login/message” hybrid (it works for both things), and the 6th sounds again to “desactivation thingy”.
Pretty cool!

Oh! yes, saturation is one of the basic processes in which you can modify sound, i dont know exactly what it is (i am not a technician), but it’s some sort of compression. Basically, if you saturate a sound, what you’re doing is distorting (which is compressing in a certain way) the frequencies and obviously making a more complex, rich sound plate. Saturating works for making sounds sound (ohhh yes, redundancy) more agressive and with more body/presence.
For example it is extremely used at hardstyle kicks.

well, i have to go!
Byeeeeeee!

Well I’ve given quite a few sounds so they should be useful somewhere! Still working on a ‘bad-click’… probably go back to an actually ‘clicky’ sound (like castanets).

May I suggest something for the bad click? Perhaps you could try, instead of going down in pitch on the second note, play the same pitch on the second note?

For various new sound engineers’ sake, I’ll restart this thread complete with the list of required sound effects. Does anyone have anything to add to the list below?

Sound Effect Location Type
Agent Secretion Environment Environmental; one shot
Agent Damage Environment Interface; repeat (plays once every set period for the duration a microbe takes damage)
Agent Inhibition Environment Interface; repeat (plays once every set period for the duration a microbe is inhibited)
Ambience Environment/Editor Interface; continuous
Button Click Unavailable All Interface; one shot
Button Hover/Click All Interface; one shot
Disaster Environment Interface; one shot; various types for different disasters, some last longer
Endocytosis Success Environment Interface; one shot
Engulfment Environment Environmental; one shot
Extinction (Game Over) Environment Interface; one shot; likely to be somewhat musical in nature
Insufficient Mutation Points Editor Interface; one shot
Microbe Bonding Environment Environmental; one shot
Microbe Death Environment Environmental; one shot
Microbe Division Environment Environmental; one shot
Microbe-Microbe Collision Environment Environmental; one shot; volume scales with impact speed
Microbe-Surface Collision Environment Environmental; one shot; volume scales with impact speed
Movement 1 Environment Environmental; one shot; plays with substantial change in linear or angular momentum
Movement 2 Environment Environmental; one shot; plays with substantial change in linear or angular momentum
Movement 3 Environment Environmental; one shot; plays with substantial change in linear or angular momentum
Multicellular (Victory) Environment Interface; one shot; likely to be somewhat musical in nature
Organelle Collection Environment Interface; one shot; overridden by endocytosis successful
Pilus Stab Environment Environmental; one shot
Selection/Placement Editor Interface; one shot
Selection/Placement Invalid Editor Interface; one shot; overridden by insufficient Mutation Points sound
Surface-Surface Collision Environment Environmental; one shot; Environmental; one shot; volume scales with impact speed
2 Likes

Is anyone able to verify which of the above SFX have been implemented and which have yet to be? Otherwise, could anyone help playtest to check which ones have been implemented?

It would be good to create an updated list to hand to the Sound Team.

Just checking in to see if the list has been updated? Is it safe to start working on these sounds now? If not I could try and verify which ones are missing or need rework? Unsure if I will get all of those just by playing the game though.

Some of those sounds already exist. Some are missing.

The sounds currently in the game can be listened to from here: https://dev.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/lfs/thrive/assets/sounds/soundeffects

Related issue about urgent need for a few specific sounds:

1 Like

The list in this thread is way out of date. Perhaps it’s time to just make a new thread where we a) decide what sounds we need now and in future, and b) make them?

Couldn’t we make a new list here, and save the trouble of having to look between 2 different threads?

A new list sounds ideal; in the meantime I can start working on these sounds:

** toxin hits a cell (same sound should be used for environmental toxin hitting a cell)*
** pilus hits a cell*
** ice shard hits a cell*
** cell is out of ATP damage*

I can see nobody is writing here for a couple of years now. Is there an updated list of needed sounds?

I think this is the most up to date list that exists:

1 Like

Thanks!