Offline Thread

Welp, the day where I have to abandon the closeness I’ve had with this project is finally upon me. Tomorrow I start university, and while I can’t say for sure, I think the time I have available to work on Thrive will be drastically cut. I’ll still be around, but I won’t be doing anything crazy like writing GDDs or revamping GUIs or organising releases for quite some time I fear.

Honestly my interest in the project has waned over the past year anyway. The seemingly endless cycle of promise then silence then sudden bursts then nothing has worn me down quite a bit. I still want to see the project succeed, but my faith in that happening was at an all-time low.

Although…seeing @NickTheNick’s enthusiasm for reorganising stuff in the past month has rekindled some of that. I hope it actually works and isn’t more organisational hot air (which I’ve been responsible for more than most I will admit).

And then this video and its sequel turned up in my YouTube recommendations, and they reminded me why we do this. I want to see people having fun experiencing a thing nobody thought could be made. All this time focusing on Thrive the project I lost sight of Thrive the game.

So I’ll still be around but I’ll mainly stick to the sidelines from now on. I always wanted to get to a point where I could shrink my role in the project back to just being a composer, which the frequent content vacuums have prevented as my need to keep things going has taken over. Sadly the project isn’t self-sufficient yet, which is why it’s annoying to reach this point and have to ignore it in favour of other things. I’m sure it can be though. And for me personally, maybe some time away can give me back the interest I once had.

Please keep going everyone. Everything can be worth it in the end.

4 Likes

Oliveriver, everything you have done has been awesome, you’ve put a huge amount of effort in and it really shows. At any point in the future it’ll be great to see you around more frequently again.

Good luck with university! Have a great time. If there’s anything I can do for you let me know.

1 Like

I’ve been out of action for this past week because of projects at work, but now I’m back and I’ve got a lot of time on my hands.

1 Like

Been pretty jam packed these past two weeks with work and family visiting, but both of those will end this weekend so I’ll have a lot more time after that to respond to slack and the dev forums, work on github and the wiki, and write up the next mini update.

2 Likes

I know there is no obligation to contribute but I still feel sorry for my recent lack of time investment in Thrive. I‘ll finish high school in about two months and I‘ve got finals coming up, so I didn‘t have a lot of time lately and won‘t have much to spare in the upcoming weeks either. But after that I should have plenty of time to invest.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, life has to come first. Thrive will be here when you have more time. Good luck with the finals.

1 Like

I REFUSE TO LET THRIVE DIE! THRIVE MUST PREVAIL! Basically you can count me in for the long run even if I’m overrun with college (about to happen until December) but that does not mean I am leaving. Only my own death can take me from this.

2 Likes

Leaving on a trip for a few weeks, but when I’m back I’ll see what else I can tackle now that organelle tooltips are mostly done!

I will be going on vacation for the beginning of september.

I won’t be able to do the progress update for Aug 30th and sep 6th (Maybe even the 13th). I can say something in the intro to the one before thst we won’t have one for s couple of weeks, or someone else can try and get it out in my absence.

I‘m also on vacation until about the 5th of september. I‘m reading the discord now and then, but I don‘t have my iPad with me, so I won‘t be able to do concept art or anything like that.

Unfortunately after getting back from my trip I was jampacked with 3 graduate exams in one summer. Now that that’s all done I’m back and will spend a few days catching up.

I’ve also been sitting on some ideas for how to tackle Auto-Evo for a while, and I finally finished up enough to post the intro and start the series, so if you’re interested you can check that out here.

2 Likes

Welcome back! Also I liked your post on auto-evo, I’m excited to see where it goes.

1 Like

Hey guys back from an extended absence, I’m going to spend the next week or two trying to catch up on what I missed!

3 Likes

Reviving this thread because why not?

I’m going to be very busy until the end of May. I would like to stay away from Thrive as much as possible in that time to stop myself getting distracted. I’ll check in on things but doubt I’ll be involved in any discussions.

After that though, I’ll be free and ready to get to some programming work.

4 Likes

Posting here because although I communicated this on discord like 20 days ago on discord, I think it would be good organizational practice to use and continue using this thread for the future.

I’m going to be moving around a lot until atleast early July, so I won’t have as much time to commit to Thrive. I’ll still be able to chime in on design in short bits and keep up with the discussion, but I probably can’t reliably test small tweaks and offer feedback on GitHub. I will make sure to make it a more consistent habit after this period of time.

4 Likes

After being unexpectedly away for 2 weeks, I can say I will expectedly be away for 2 weeks again from late July to early August. I’ll try to work out a few things next week.

3 Likes

Going on a two week trip tomorrow so will be less active. My priorities once I get back are to finish setting up the dev environment, then work on the Mutation Point Modifier, Biome Ambient SFX, and the Phagocytosis Ability trait (if there’s agreement for it).

2 Likes

College begins on Aug 17 and I (as a freshman) don’t know whether I will have time (or how much time I will have) to work on Thrive. What is certain is that I will be less active and may only participate in discord discussions (and may be able to code a bit on weekends just like half a year before). After adapting to my college schedule, I will notify you of how I will continue participating.

5 Likes

I’m starting a full time job tomorrow. Preparing for that (moving, etc.) has taken up more time than I’d hoped, which is why I haven’t been able to contribute as much this release cycle.

While I should still have a fair amount of free time (at least compared to university), I doubt I’ll have much willingness to do software development as both work and recreation. I know many people do, but probably not me.

I’ll make as much effort as I can to help with 0.5.10 and tie up my loose ends afterwards (finish fossilisation and my other WIP PRs, try some more performance testing/improvements, have a go at the thermosynthesis revamp) and I’ll still be around in the background. But I’d like to become less involved over the next few months so I can focus on other things. Being properly employed may force me to do that anyway, but we’ll see.

4 Likes

I’ll be taking a vacation / break from working on Thrive for the next two weeks (I’ll be back in January). This’ll be my first time taking time off since starting as an employee working on Thrive. I’ll still be online and available for emergency things, but for non-emergency things I’ll try to just passively kind of keep up with whatever is happening. So ping me if there is an emergency.

I’ve setup an auto comment on Github PRs asking people’s patience on getting reviews from other programmers. I’m hoping other programmers can pick up the task of reviewing pull requests, adding tags to opened PRs and issues and putting them on the planning board etc. housekeeping stuff I do on Github.
I think if multiple people (after checking the style guide and gameplay) think a PR is perfect, I think it’ll be fine to merge as long as the merge approach set out in the style guide is followed. At the latest I’ll catch up on any pending PRs and other stuff once I’m back.

5 Likes