Organelle Models

Yeah, the nucleus isn’t really working. How bad does this look?

The texture doesn’t fit with the rest of the cell and the darker spots are irregular. Doesn’t look too good.

@nanu, sorry to bother you, but ogre doesn’t want to work well with displacement maps :confused: It just makes the bright light pattern you can see in the picture.

I tried to add some dots, but it didn’t help. Could you try making a “flat” nucleus model, please?

Sorry again for the trouble. The old model looked pretty awesome.

Edit: I just had an idea (which I think you proposed a while ago). Could you just create a flat circle and add the texture from your sphere onto it? It doesn’t even have to be a circle, you could use a single quad and I could do alpha mapping. Just make sure you unwrap correctly :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, I think that could work very well—a circle mesh plus your cool nucleus model rendered to a texture from above.

Edit 2: Ooor… if you’re feeling really adventurous, you could draw up something like this or this as the texture for the nucleus for a really cell-like feel, but that’s up to you. I’m fine with both options, your model would look fantastic in-game as is.

So I made a nucleus model for the april fools release. All I need now is an image texture of how the nucleus should look.

Someone asked me about this on a PM, and I thought it was a good question. For the nucleus, the UV is just a circle inscribed in a square, so this is how the texture should look:

Remember to use a png if you want part of it to be transparent.

1 Like

Can I make a suggestion for the ER and golgi? I think they should be placed behind the nucleus so they wrap around it. At the moment they appear too separated from the nucleus, which just leads to the cell as a whole looking cluttered.

A quick and dirty illustration to explain what I mean:

2 Likes

Did some research. The ER is actually connected to the outer nuclear membrane. The inner nuclear membrane is the one with the pores. Idk if maybe we want to do a cross sectional view of this with all the genetic material visible inside or a semi-cross sectional view with the inner nuclear membrane intact, while the outer membrane and ER is split.

I can do a quick sketch of what I mean when I get home

Anyway the main point is it seems that the ER and nucleus are one so perhaps separate and free floating sections would not be the most realistic choice. It’d be better represented as one model.

The outer nuclear membrane, inner nuclear membrane, and ER membrane are all parts of the same membrane – if you had a hollow sphere carved out of swiss cheese, with extra bits of swiss cheese grafted all over the outer surface, the surface of the cheese is analogous to the membrane.The nuclear pores are like donut holes, connecting the outer surface with the inner surface.

The ER irl actually forms a network that reaches throughout the entire cell. Maybe someday we’d be able to represent that, but right now I agree that the best course of action is to have a single model for both nucleus and ER, with the ER wrapping around like above.

1 Like

Nucleus + ER model concept art thingy

Question: What of the Smooth ER? How about the Golgi apparatus :0

Each golgi complex is more of a separate entity, though they generally stay quite close to the nucleus.

The smooth ER is part of the same network as the rough ER, sharing the same membrane. In your sketch maybe 2 or 3 sections of the ER could be smooth ER instead (which looks like a network of fused tubes instead of flat stacked sheets).

I’ll draw up something tomorrow.

I included the Smooth ER to the best of my ability. Whatcha think?

3 Likes

Looks great! Maybe there should be more of colour gradient between the nucleus and ER/gogli apparatus. Unfortunately we’ll have to wait for models though, we can’t exactly use an image, though it’s great concept art for modellers to work off.

1 Like

Thank you
Yes it was intended for the modelers to use :slight_smile:

Actually, an image may be better. You cant actually see the organelles from any angle except top down orthographic, so having 3d organelles is just a waste of processing power. If we were to implement a less restricted camera, then 3D would be the way to go, but in the game’s current state, I’d say 2D organelles would be much better.

They’d have to be some pretty high quality images. They’d also need to have animations.

You can still see the 3D-ness of organelles when cells are further away on-screen, so having 2D images there instead would completely break immersion.

@Oliveriver just keep in mind that at the current moment half the organelles and the cell membrane are sprites.

Which ones?

Nucleus from disco release and vacuole.