Concept Art Library

We now have a centralized art repository which organizes all relevant concept art by stage and topic:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14Qg-VaRQQMSeS6GWzcGdMCAUkS4ZsgfR?usp=sharing

The greatest piece of concept art is no help if it‘s lost in the maelstorm of unending discord threads. Therefore I hereby create this thread where you can post all of your concept art. I may arrange the art by subject later. But for now just dump everything you‘ve got.
I‘ll give everyone some time to post all of their art. If after some time there‘s still art that‘s missing we can also post other peoples art they forgot to post, but don‘t forget to credit the artist if you know him/her. But for the beginning please just post your own stuff.

NOTE: This thread is primarily meant for art of the microbe stage and early multicellular stage. You can also post stuff of the later stages, but please keep it in a seperate spoiler that says ‚stuff for the later stages’. This thread isn‘t meant for discussion, please post your images without writing too much.

4 Likes

Here‘s a collection of my art:

Editor „Screenshots“

(This design isn‘t 100% in line with Narotizas latest GUI look, so it will be altered a bit in the final in-game implementation)

Animations

image image image

Organelles

In-Game Encyclopedia (OUTDATED)

(This design is seriously outdated. Don‘t use it for reference!)

Other

Later Game

6 Likes

My stuff

2019 Concepts

2020 Concepts

3D Prototypes and Models

Early game Art

Later game Art and Concepts

4 Likes

Here’s mine

Patch Map concepts

This map was made by MirrorMonkey, but since my patch maps are based on it I post it as well

Gui mock ups

Organelle concepts

Misc. Cell stage concepts

Cell flattening

5 Likes
Concept Art

Patches

3d vent scene with minimal GUI

Membrane style concept (heavily inspired by this video)

Gui Concepts

Color palette

Gameplay GUI

Collapsed Compound/Environment panels

Editor GUI

.svg files for the top three concepts

Rough editor concept

Rough statistics concept

Thrive Launcher concept

New game settings concepts

ATP production/consumption bars

Processes

Ditto, with hidden processes and compounds

Experimental UI concepts

Circular timer button

UI elements

“Sneaky timers”

3d “holographic” GUI

Experimental UI

Ditto, with notes

Hazard warnings

If mouse is not freed, buttons are invisible

Reproduction and Editor buttons are invisible if unavailable

When available, either two buttons appear transparent when mouse is not freed
(here reproduction is available, but not editor)

Incomplete reproduction bars

Complete reproduction bars, with white glow

Auto-Evo

Niches

Niches part 2

Population simulation thing?

Big messy ecosystem thing where I suck at math and tackle way more than I can even understand

Concept for competition based around compound clouds

Editor

3D editor concept 1

3D editor concept 2

“Forwards”

Protein “research” web (larger arrows mean a protein is easier to evolve if a certain other protein is already evolved)

Solar System Generation

Solar system concept 1

Solar system concept 2

Solar system creation/generation concept (warning: very big)

Misc. Systems

Glycolysis/Osmoregulation thing

Senses 1

Senses 2

“Activity gets ATP”

ATP concept of some sort

Concept considering implementation of Pyruvate

Concept on surface area, volume, and diffusion

Cell membrane tinting concept

Cladogram trees

Icons

Splitting DNA reproduction icon

Reproduction Icon

Editor Icon

Patch Map

Circular patch region concept

(outdated) Map

(outdated) Planet looping concepts

More patch concepts (see my posts in the Patch Map Design Discussion thread!)

Achievement Icons

Dodo - Go extinct

Dodon’t - Recover from near extinction

Shish-Kebab - Kill another microbe with a pilus

Amazingly Well Adapted - Enter the multicellular stage with the hardest settings enabled

(quick concept) Now What? - Become a stone-age, fully aquatic civilization with no means of producing fire.

(quick concept) Mmm, Sunlight! - Develop photosynthesis

(quick concept) I am Become Death - Detonate a nuclear weapon

Micro-Borg - Assimilate a bacterium through endosymbiosis

Micro-Borg (outdated style, but cooler concept)

Membrane

Combined

Underside

Other

Tutorial movement indicator

Membrane rigidity thing

Cell doodle (based on a dream I had)

6 Likes
Thrive Concepts

Thrive Illustrations

4 Likes
Illustration-concept

interface

1 Like

Here’s mine! Just are materials.
Cells:

2 Likes

So I went through the fan art library and extracted some of the earliest Thrive artworks done by ~Sciocont, as well as some things done by @Uniow which are not yet uploaded on here. I also have taken the freedom to select some pieces of concept art by other community members which I think most closely follow the visual style defined by ~Sciocont and Uniow. Do not use any of these as promotional art or in-game assets! (Exept for the one by Uniow, as she’s the only one who has signed the CLA.

~Sciocont

Uniow

Interface5

Two Voices

Devoid

~Zorkman

Minegamer

Keep in mind that I didn‘t select these particular artworks because I like them more than the other artworks posted in the fan art gallery, but because I think they best fit the established visual style. Still, this judgement is highly subjective.
(i hope I attributed all of then to the correct artist…)

EDIT: Please use only Uniows art as anything more than vague inspiration as the others probably haven’t signed the CLA.

3 Likes

I think these are very nice, however we must be cautious about promotional art, especially those including HUD: they may give false ideas to the player about the state of the game, some potentially looking as in-development screenshots.

Good initiative, though!

Well this is the concept art library, so having concepts that include how the GUI might look are useful. Also we need to be careful to not mix up the community art and accidentally put them in as loading screen images if the person making the art hasn’t signed the CLA.

2 Likes

Alright, is there a list of who has signed the CLA so I can indicate in my post who has signed it and who hasn‘t?

Due to privacy concerns, no. But if you login through the dev forums to ThriveDevCenter you can check if someone with a specific email or github account has signed. At the bottom of this page: ThriveDevCenter
Also people can just put whatever they want as the username in the signing form, so that can’t be anyway used to verify if someone has signed (so just knowing the username / name of the artist is not enough to verify that they have signed).

1 Like

Alright, in that case I‘ll put a note into my earlier post to only use ~Scioconts and Uniows art as anything more than inspiration. (I‘m assuming both of them signed since they were and/or are developers). Correct me if I‘m wrong:)

Uniow has signed the CLA. ~Sciocont has been MIA for years, and has not signed the CLA.

For the other people whose art you posted, I’m pretty sure they haven’t signed the CLA.

1 Like

I realized that the organisation of this library is suboptimal due to multiple reasons:
A) Every artist has to remember to update their entry every time they create a piece of concept art.
B) Organizing the art by author is very impractical if you are looking for something concerning a specific topic (eg multicellular GUI).
This is why I chose to create a centralized art repository which I will be updating every time someone creates a piece of concept art (I put the link in this threads original post). That way I’m the only one who has to remember it, and since it’s my dedicated responsibility I will be more likely to remember it.
Right now I’m using a google drive folder but if anyone has a better alternative which I should use, feel free to let me know.
I’m also sure that I’ve missed a few pieces, if you can think of any (by yourself or someone else) please repost them in the #graphics channel of the discord so I can upload them to the repository.
As of now I haven’t changed the file names to indicate the original author of the pieces. If anyone thinks that doing so would be important/practical, please tell me so I can rename all of them.

4 Likes
Multicellular organism concepts

5 Likes