A roadmap for implementing auto-evo

Here is a roadmap for building out auto-evo. It’s come out long and I don’t want to burden people with reading but I wanted it for reference. Really happy with any and all feedback. I’m not saying we have to do this, just that I am reasonably sure this will work.

Here are the next steps as I see them.

1. We need a good suite of diagnostic tools. I think we already have this half done. We need to have a screen which shows the results of each Auto-evo step. That means listing each patch with each species in them and what organelles they have and maybe more. So when we run the sim forwards we can see the state of the sim easily. This is probably more info than the player should normally see but we need it for development. I think a text dump is fine.

I think we also need buttons for advancing the sim 1 step without swimming and, for example, 10 steps without swimming. That way we can quickly iterate and check how things balance out over multiple runs.

1. I think we should implement the population calculations with only primary resources (sunlight, h2s, iron, free glucose, are there others yet?). There are prototypes here and here and reasonable code here which can be adapted for this I think, so we are close already.

There are 4 tests which, when we run the system a bunch of times, this should pass. What I am expecting is:

A. each species should be patch appropriate. For example thakyloids should only develop in sunlit patches and not in dark ones. Chemosynthetic proteins should only develop in areas with h2s etc. The species should converge towards being well adapted for primary resource gathering.

B. The species should become small. The reason is that cost per individual is the number of organelles to the power of 1.3, meaning becoming twice as big reduces your population to 81% of what it was. Therefore, in a world without predators, it’s best to be a single resource gathering hex.

C. If we change this cost to the number of organelles to the power of 0.9 we should see the species blow up and become really large, becoming twice as big will increase your population to 107% of what it was. This is clearly not desirable but shows this parameter is working as expected, and therefore we can tune it.

D. The sim shouldn’t be doing any crazy nonsense over many runs from many people. If it works I think it would be good to distribute it to the community to really get it widely tested.

Once these are passed we will be in a really solid place and can build out the rest of the system.

1. We need to think a bit carefully about the nucleus. It’s so expensive that it will almost always be best to take it out, so we need to balance that.

2. We need to think about marine snow and have a system for computing how that moves.

3. We need to think about scavengers and how there should be energy left over from dead organisms which others can harvest.

4. We need to add predation relations and check again that the system is working robustly. I think the general idea for doing this is to have 2 rounds, in the first round primary resources are gathered, in the second round predator species steal from prey species. The inputs to this will be things like the number of pilus, toxins and flagella. This is complex and will need discussion.

5. Adding more nuance and sophistication to the simulation. There’s loads of cool ideas in Nick’s Auto-evo thread along these lines. The basic problem is “how to get the simulation to match the experience of swimming as closely as possible.” For example in a pure energy model there is no reason to use a Nitrogen Fixing Plastid as it doesn’t give energy and costs energy to make.

Because this is a difficult engineering problem, as you can see, and I can’t do it all myself it will need to be done as a team. I think we will need good engineering discipline to accomplish it. It is easy to get lost. This means starting with something really simple and adding complexity slowly, backtracking if something isn’t working, lots of robust testing and when we see behaviour we don’t understand stopping and drilling down to why that is happening. It’s hard to have good engineering discipline and that’s why you do it.

I want to put some time into helping with this however my health is not so good and we will need programming and general discussion too. On the upside I think this could be a really good experience for someone to help with building a big piece of tech which would look great on a CV or application to university or whatever.

Anyway I hope this monster post isn’t too offputting. I’m inspired at the moment that it’s starting to feel like this is possible and we might be able to finish a stage, which would be huge for the project and me personally.

All feedback welcome.

5 Likes

I can see the need for this. I’ll open an issue on github.
It’s probably good to put this in the extras menu, named something like auto-evo sandbox or something.

3 Likes

So I made a post in the Discord a while ago but it ended up being way longer than I expected (should have seen it coming) so I’ll put my thoughts here, in a hopefully more digestible format, instead.

Recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about how auto-evo could be implemented, particularly the population aspect. However, I eventually ran into a dead end so I’ve decided to just post what I got.

Designing auto-evo is… a monumental task, obviously. But even though I’m not really a programmer or a maths person, for some reason I felt like I could help, hopefully at least a little bit, by trying to figure out how to build what would be part of its foundation: a system that takes a bunch of different species and the environment they all share, compares their capabilities and behavior, and calculates each species’ population and relationship with others.

Before I begin, just to make sure we’re all on the same page: I’m working under the assumption that auto-evo will have to be very targeted, fairly “intelligent,” and rather decidedly not very Darwinian. Obviously it’s possible to simulate the evolution of life with actual natural selection – plenty of games and programs have done that – and yes, it does seem like it would be a shame to say that Thrive is an evolution game without any actual evolution…but Thrive’s scope is so big and so different that cheating unfortunately seems necessary.

We’re not simulating a small play area where organisms live, die, reproduce and mutate in real-time, like in games like Species: ALRE and Ecosystem (which are interesting in their own right, don’t get me wrong)…we’re simulating an entire planet (possibly not actually planet-sized, but still very large) which will eventually be covered in possibly hundreds or even thousands of species.

Even tactics like giving each species 5 or so random mutations and choosing the most beneficial will eventually become inefficient as more species arise. Plus, it’s easier to add a random organelle to a 2d, hexagonal cell, without any concern for body shape, and have it be beneficial, but on a larger scale, truly beneficial mutations will end up being extremely rare, and NPC evolutions will be suboptimal and aesthetically unpleasant as a result. Again, actual evolution isn’t guided by an intelligent force toward a certain goal, but after a trip to the editor and a jump millions of years into the future, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have the game say “this is what this species evolved into over that time.”

Concepts -- these will be linked, or broken down, later in the post

^ https://www.desmos.com/calculator/rb9uugyzcl

The first step I took was trying to figure out how different species would fill up an ecosystem, given a limitless supply of food and nutrients.

Imagine an empty patch where the soil is always sufficiently saturated with nutrients, which two different plant species are in the process of taking over:

Each frame, a pixel is added to one growing member of each species, until its shape is complete, after which it will place a single new pixel somewhere else in the square. This is the final result:
We end up with 24 3-pixel green plants and 14 5-pixel cyan ones, with green plants taking up 63.16% of the population and cyan ones taking up 36.84%.

Their growth can also be visualized by placing a number of horizontal “bars” together into rows; each row represents a species, each of its bars sized according to how quickly they grow. A vertical line scans through these rows, and every time it passes a bar, it adds a member of the respective species to the environment until the overall carrying capacity is reached:
Growth 2
Here the green plants take up 62.5%, the cyan ones, 37.5%.

We don’t actually have to simulate this exact method though, I found a way to directly calculate (what should be?) the same result.

First, I start with a big purple line, representing the total amount of nutrients in the patch’s soil. This one is 125 units long.
Then I defined 4 different plant species, represented by the red, yellow, green, and blue bars (the size of each shown in the upper left, also corresponding to each bar’s length in pixels. The red “2” is a typo, it should say “3”)
(The manual placement of the colored bars above the purple line isn’t part of the calculation, it was just so I could compare the calculations with the manual result. Furthermore, the numbers to the bottom-left, underneath the purple line, measure the number of (manually-placed) bars in each color, their combined size in pixels, and their percentage of all individuals in the patch.)

I found that, by dividing the number of nutrients (125) by the number of different species using them as a food source (4), and then dividing that number (125/4 = 31.25) by the length of each species’ bar, I could arrive at a result very similar to the manual one.

So, basically every species gets an equal portion of the environment, but each one still ends up with a different population based on how much energy they need to survive and reproduce – think the difference between grass and trees.

Going back to the two-imaginary-plant-species, with 125 units of nutrients, this results in 20.8333 green plants and 12.5 cyan plants. (62.5% and 37.5%, again)

I then added “herbivorous” “animals” to the mix, by repeating the same idea, except this time using their prey’s populations calculated in the previous step. (note the weirdness with pixel sizes and dividing numbers here…I had to expand the plants’ lines so the animals’ bars would be visible, making them appear 6 times larger than their actual size in units.)

I divided each food source between a number of different animal species; the animal represented by the tan-colored 8/6-pixel bars eats three plant species, sharing most of them with other animals, while the one represented by the pale blue 4/6-pixel bars gets the last plant to itself.

By adding the results of all the food sources together, we find the total population for every species in the patch.
Note that some animals are just as numerous, if not more so, than the plants they eat. This isn’t necessarily unintended behavior; these may be small animals, easily sustained by eating relatively small portions of the plants, exceeding them only in number, not biomass. Think small parasites eating the leaves or wood of a large tree.

So what can this be used for? Not much, at least not anywhere near its current state. The picture painted by this model is terribly imperfect. Every species does not have its food source, at a constantly ideal amount, served to them on a silver platter, especially not animals, and especially not animals that eat animals.
In this model, the plant populations remain unchanged by predation by the animals, and the environmental nutrients are not used up by plants, nor would they be returned by organism death and decomposition. Different species relying upon the same food source do not face any competition from each other – and competition is a very important part of evolution.

And the fact that ecosystems are cyclical makes this effect very difficult to calculate. Plants may leech nutrients from the soil, making their actual carrying capacity lower than if the soil always had as much as it could possibly offer 24/7 like it does here. Meanwhile, herbivory would lessen these plants’ impact, while carnivores eating herbivores would lessen their lessening of these plants’ impact.

Here’s an example of how each member of an ecosystem impacts the others:

Each colored rectangle represents a species, while the colored circles represent species that positively or negatively affect their population (and the circles inside of those circles represent species that affect their populations, and so on)…

For instance, this plant species’ population is negatively impacted by predation by herbivores (yellow), which rely on the plants for food, and have their own population affected by the carnivores (gray) that eat them.

Meanwhile, the plant species gets its sustenance from the nutrients in the soil, which is replenished by decomposing species of many kinds, but is affected by the population of plants growing on it, which itself is negatively impacted by predation by herbivores, which rely on the plants for food, and have their own population affected by…

And this is without considering the competition that occurs when two species occupy the same niche, where one will end up being driven extinct by the superior competitor, and the fact that all this will need to be able to be seen and understood by the player in time so they can adapt and plan accordingly.

I think what we need to do is find something which, given all of the species, their stats, niches, and relationships, and the environmental conditions, estimates reasonable populations for every member of the ecosystem (as well as a list of “issues” or “setbacks” for each organism, which the player or auto-evo may want to pay attention to) without having to simulate multiple iterations (likely costly?) in hopes that the populations will balance out…which is where I’ve been stuck so far.
I wish I were better with math.

So I’ve mentioned that I want to find a nice, static “equilibrium” in spite of predation and competition and such, but in real life, populations are not static! They fluctuate quite often, like how prey populations boom following a decline in their predators, after which their predator’s population rises before both eventually drop due to starving/dying to death until the cycle begins again.

I wondered for a bit whether something like this should be represented in Thrive too, but though it would be cool, I feel like it might be best to shy away from it.

For one, the timespan of a single “incarnation” (or gameplay/swimming period, whatever we want to call it) is likely way too small in most cases to see these changes happen in real-time. Furthermore, there are many points where, as mentioned before, predators are unable to sustain their numbers with the current prey population. It would be very unfair for players to be spawned into these points, where statistically their chances of surviving and reproducing are slim, in a game that expects them to survive and reproduce.

The populations could be averaged to give the player a more fair chance, and to ensure that solely their skill and the effectiveness of their organism’s design determine whether they can get through. These averaged values might never appear at the same time in the normal population oscillations, but the game might not even know those to begin with? I really don’t know, and also I feel like this is about to get in the territory of seasonal variations and which things should change through them, so I’ll abandon this train of thought for now.

Here’s some more thoughts on how competition and predation would effect populations:

I went in to making these concepts under the assumption that being driven to extinction by predation would be possible, but after some second thought I’ve realized it’s probably unlikely in most cases? If a predator species relies upon a prey species for food, then its population is tied to theirs, and it’s likely both will find a relatively comfortable balance. (or both will dive straight down to 0 and go extinct, which usually we’ll want to avoid)
Still, in some cases it may still happen: a prey species may reproduce too slowly to make up for its deaths, and its predators may eat them all before they have time to face the consequences, or the arrival of an invasive species can drive them to extinction. (The mechanics of which i’m not too sure of, so I’m kinda worried i’m picturing this all wrong)

Usually though, a species’ adaptations against predators aren’t to avoid extinction, but rather to enable those equipped with them to survive longer than those who are not.

Parasitism, even if it rarely kills a single individual, may harm organisms’ fitness and ability to reproduce.

Competition, meanwhile, can very quickly lead to species’ extinction; when two species share the same niche, one will eventually have to die out. Population decline due to competition or other factors (like mass extinctions) probably shouldn’t be instantaneous though, especially not for the player; so either such things should take two or so generations to happen or auto-evo shouldn’t be allowed to treat the player like any other species.

Changes in the player’s population could be more gradual than usual, so they have time to prepare. In instances where it somehow immediately drops to 0, there can be brief “shields” in place to allow it to hover at a very low value for a few generations, hopefully giving the player a chance to make a comeback.
Also, new species could be less likely to compete for the player’s niche than they would any other, so the player isn’t constantly spending most of their time desperately defending their niche instead of advancing forward through the stages.

The impact of these safeguards could be lessened, or disabled entirely, on harder difficulties.

Here’s some more ideas on food webs I drew on my whiteboard. Most of it’s the same stuff I went over already, i.e. predator-prey and competitive relationships within ecosystems, however I did also think about how different forms of each species, as well as their corpses and waste, could be counted as individual food sources, in order to properly include organisms who may undergo a metamorphosis that massively changes them, and to facilitate scavenging and decomposition.

(Also, this part represents a general way to abstract organisms to make them easier to plug into auto-evo):

The upper drawing represents the organism itself in the flesh, including 100% of its organs, joints, senses, behavior, and tissues, just as the player would see it in the editor.

The middle drawing represents a “profile” of the organism, giving some more simplified stats (but not terribly so!) indicating its abilities, such as its stature, mobility in different environments, defensive capabilities, camouflage, and things like that. These are what will probably be compared by auto-evo in order to measure different matchups between species, and estimate issues harming them.

Finally, the bottom drawing represents all the information from the profile (and other organisms’ profiles) being used to create a few variables representing things like a species’ success at predation and its ability to create offspring from the food it gains, which would be used to calculate the actual populations in an ecosystem. (right now I have no idea how any of this would be done. sorry)

Back to math!
In order to figure out how an ecosystem would balance itself over time, I created this:

^ https://www.desmos.com/calculator/rb9uugyzcl

It’s not quite a solution to the problem I was looking for, but it helped me visualize it a little bit better. You can change each organism’s variables (its population per every one unit of its food source, and the deaths in its prey in the next iteration for every one unit of the current population). Also notice how adding another organism (by switching to another graph by hiding/unhiding the folders) changes the average population of all the other species involved.

Here’s an example of how a parasitic (or really small predator) species might look:

The “meece” (yellow line) are parasites of the “ferms” (green line). There are 3 meece per ferm, however each mooce only has a minimal impact on the ferm population since there’s only so much a small predator can do.

However, if you turn that last number up…:

Bad Things Seem To Happen
The position of those dotted horizontal lines is given by the average of the last 2 iterations of each population, but these graphs won’t be approaching anything any time soon

Finally, I experimented a bit more with the math, and noticed the populations were definitely approaching certain numbers in particular:

But even though it felt like I was super close, I couldn’t figure out where exactly they were coming from, so I eventually gave up for the time being.

That’s about all I can provide for now, but (unless you all decide on a better course of action, which… yeah) once this step is done, our next step might be designing a “profile” system, which would contain an abstracted overview of each organism, which full organisms would be converted into in the editor, which would then go on to be used in calculating and building the ecosystem.
Next would be a system to identify issues by looking at organisms’ profiles and the patch they’re in, in order to aid both the player and auto-evo. (issues would include things like “this species is competing for your niche” or “this species is hunting you” or “your temperature tolerance isn’t well suited to the current environment”)
And finally, the most difficult step will definitely end up being the system that reads these issues, takes a look at the organism’s profile, decides what would be a good adaptation (though not necessarily perfect, and not necessarily done all the time) and then somehow applies those changes to the actual, physical organism itself.

…Whew.

I don’t know how much of this is possible, or feasible, and I kinda feel bad suggesting so much when I can offer so little. Again I’m not really a programmer so some of the shortcuts I’ve suggested might be unnecessary and maybe the performance cost isn’t as bad as I imagined! Maybe all this isn’t actually that good of an idea and I missed a post where someone already figured it out and did much better than me. But either way, auto-evo is looking like one of the hardest problems…ever, so I hope we’re up for it.

4 Likes

Hi guys. How can I help solving the auto-evo problems?

Over the years many people have tried to come up with the ultimate auto-evo population algorithm.
The current algorithm is very simple:

• Based on some of the organelles in a species compute how big fraction of energy available through that organelle the species gets
  • Calculate energy gain from predation based on the number of attack organelles
  • Calculate species population by dividing the energy available to it by how big the species is

That’s very simplistic and many organelles have no effect.

So I suggest that coming up with even a slightly more comprehensive population calculation algorithm would be great as it seems that everyone who sets on making the ultimate population calculation algorithm never finishes it (not even enough for it to be coded in an incomplete state).

Is there a way to create this workflow?

1. a threshold of energy gain results in cell division/reproduction
  2. this process would increase population naturally (or decrease it if conditions are not optimal)

Currently the total energy for a species determines its population. It wouldn’t be too difficult to change that part of the algorithm to use surplus / deficit of energy to determine the population change.

One thing to consider is that we can’t simulate the population numbers with cells moving about and doing stuff. Instead we need to use a fully numeric calculation that finishes in reasonable amount of time even on pretty low power computers.

Here is a brief explanation of how auto-evo currently works in the game. The current implementation is just a prototype and needs a lot of work.

On the outer layer when a species is evolved 5 copies of the patch are made, a change is made in 4 of them, and then best performing patch is kept and the others are discarded.

On the inner layer there’s a function which takes in the list of species in a patch and their “blueprints” (list of organelles they have, what membrane they have, any behavioural values they have etc) and the patch conditions and returns a population value for each species.

This is done in 3 stages currently:

First the primary energy is distributed:

For sunlight: add up the total number of sunlight collecting organelles in all species (thakyloids + chloroplasts currently). Each species is then given a fraction of the incoming sunlight energy based on their fraction of this total which they have.

For example say species A has 3 chloroplasts, B has 2 and C has 1. Then there are 6 chloroplasts total in the patch. Therefore A gets 50% of the sunlight, B gets 33% and C gets 16%.

This is then repeated exactly the same way for the other primary energy sources, iron and hydrogen sulfide. (I’m not exactly sure what is happening with free floating gluces and “marine snow” but these should be factored in here too).

Second there is a predation round:

So each species contributes half the energy they have collected into the “predation pool”.

Then likewise you go round and compute the “predation score” of each species and the sum of all these predation scores for the whole patch. The predation score is currently something like “number of pilus + 2x number of toxin vacuoles or something.”

Then species are given the resources in the predation pool proportionally to their fraction of the total predation score, so it works the same as before but the weapons are seen as the resource collecting organelles.

Thirdly each species computes it’s “individual cost” which is the number of organelles it has to the power of 1.3.

It then computes it’s population which is the amount of energy it collected divided by it’s individual cost.

So basically this is to encourage species to reduce any organelle which isn’t actively helping them get more energy and to keep them streamlined.

So yeah that’s how it’s working at the moment.

Some problems are:

The population numbers never go to 0, so long as a species has some way of getting energy they will always end up with >0 population so there should be some threshold or something for removing them.

Not that many organelles are factored into this scheme, for instance how to include the nucleus or nitrogen fixing plastid?

The predation system is really super simple, it would probably make more sense to try to compute how good each species is at runnign away and also how good it is at fighting to give small ones a chance to evade big, heavily armed, ones.

I am concerned, though we haven’t tested much, that all the species might end up super small, if the 1.3 power on the individual cost is too high.

There are only 2 trophic levels and it would be nice to add more for scavengers and higher order predators I think.

However on the plus side this approach is super fast, we can run hundreds of planets with hundreds of patches with hundreds of species no problem.

I think it is also a reasonable basis for adding in more complex ideas. It conforms the species to the patch conditions, for instance in a patch with no sunlight all thakyloids and chloroplasts will disppear, in a patch with a lot they will appear.

I am really happy for any of it to be redone or changed. And I’m really happy to answer any questions or explain more.

2 Likes

I’ll copy my discord message here as well…

There is actually a population threshold now, so if a population is low, the species goes extinct. Other than that and the fact that migrations are missing, I don’t see anything outdated in that description.

Migrations are very similar to the mutations: a few random migrations are generated by taking some population from a patch with high enough population to a nearby patch, and then the population numbers are ran in all patches to see if that migration results in a higher population than other migrations and not migrating at all. If it does result in larger population it is then selected.

3 Likes

@Maxonovien and I were discussing on discord, and figured it would be good to move the discussion here:

The Problem

Since the inception of this thread, there is now a working Auto-Evo system in the game. So congrats to us on that, and specifically to the devs who made that. However, there have been a lot of new features added to the game, and the current system does not know how to take account of them in calculating its outputs.

Additionally, as far as I know the current system is energy based, which I think is limited in how well it can take into account all the different factors of evolution.

Short Term Solution

I think that currently, a lot of the new sources of confusion are in calculating competition between species for the same resources. One way we could handle this is through something I call the “Contest System”.

The Contest System

For every resource which multiple species can compete for, the game holds a contest. For example, let’s say two species (Predator 1 and Predator 2) are hunting the same prey (Prey 1). The game will run a “Hunting” contest to see how successfully the two compete in hunting Prey 1.

To hold the contest, the game assigns a “Rating” to each predator. The rating is calculated by multiplying several of the predator’s relevant stats together, alongside weights for how important each stat is. These stats will be chosen and weighted according to how important they are for hunting. For example, we could choose them to be speed at 150%, attack damage at 100%, health at 50%. The calculation for a given predator’s Hunting Rating would then be:

Hunting Rating = (Speed * 150%) * (Attack Damage * 100%) * (Health * 50%)

Let’s say Predator 1 gets a rating of 200, and Predator 2 gets a rating of 100.

The prey can then be assigned a “Hunting Defence Rating”. This can be calculated using the same variables and weights, or different ones, if we felt like the defender in such a situation should employ different tactics.

Let’s say Prey 1 gets a rating of 150.

The total contest’s pool is then just the sum of all these ratings. 200 + 100 + 150 → 450. Each species gets a share of the contest’s reward based on what percentage of the pool they comprise. So Predator 1 represents 200/450 of the total pool, so he receives 44% of the total reward. Predator 2 receives 22% of the total reward, and Prey 1 receives the remaining 33%.

The reward of the contest is the total energy/nutrients of Prey 1. Since Predator 1 was calculated to win 44% of the pool, he is given 44% of Prey 1’s energy, and this is converted into an associated number of predation deaths for Prey 1. Same is applied to Predator 2. Prey 1 receiving 33% means they get to keep 33% of their energy since that was the portion of their population that successfully evaded predators.

Such a system accomplishes:

• Can calculate a single predator hunting a single prey, or multiple predators hunting a single prey. It will dynamically calculate a reduction in success for all associated predators if the prey evolves better defences.
  • Can easily add new variables by simply adding them to how the rating is calculated. You can also easily alter the weights of each variable to balance them.
  • Is very flexible. We could expand this in the future to hold several contests for the different stages of hunting. An initial “Chase” contest to see which predators catch the prey, a following “Combat” contest to see of the caught prey, which predators manage to kill and eat them, and a following “Scavenging” contest, where scavenging species fight over the remains. We can also calculate different ratings based on what form of hunting the predator uses, be it Ambush, Pursuit, Endurance, etc. This will then change what variables are multiplied together in calculating that rating, so for example Ambush Hunting would reward camouflage and acceleration, Pursuit Hunting would reward top speed and stamina, and Endurance hunting would reward mostly just stamina. It can be applied to other situations as well, like photosynthesizing cells competing for sunlight, cells that rely on osmosis competing for absorption rate, etc.

However I could be entirely wrong in my analysis of the shortcomings of the current system. Regardless, I did want to take the chance to mention the idea of the Contest System, as I think we could use it to get a lot more functionality out of the Auto-Evo system.

If you have any thoughts on the current shortcomings, and any potential solutions, for the current Auto-Evo system, please share!

Long Term Solution

I think long term, the Energy based system will not be able to simulate all of the aspects of evolution we will one day want it to simulate. I do predict that long-term we would be better off switching to a Population-based model. I still have my prototype in the books and could start producing a simpler, “Early Implementation” version of it down the line if it would help.

We also now have the auto-evo exploring tool to run just auto-evo and inspect the results.
Though the multi run statistics collecting feature is not done yet:

1 Like

I feel we will reach a point where it would be easier to do proper Darwinian evolution, than running and maintaining all of the complex systems we have in place.

As a side note from playing around with models and the like, if compound clouds are replaced with chunks, everything gets so much easier to simulate. In my tests, my simplified models of them took up 90% of the run time.

We either need to make the game much more laggy by simulating more microbes. Or do:

otherwise that idea is not possible.