Auto-evo exploring tool

@Kasterisk A few questions.

1. Do you know how to use a light background in MicrobeCamera? Blue cells are hard to recognize currently.
  2. Have you ever used ButtonGroup? I added 3 CustomChecckBox button groups, but only one group of buttons are responding to button state changes. Although I wrote that part, I really don’t know what has caused that.
  3. Have you used ViewportContainer? It can hold Viewports in it so that you get multiple worlds on one screen. I’m thinking of adding hex view and preview on one screen but not sure what to do.

I did microbe editor refactoring where the button group members for organelle and membrane buttons are created in code. You should be able to refer to that code to see how it is done.

I haven’t used it myself, but I did use the separate worlds feature I have Godot to make the photo studio to make images of cells. Basically you add that new world root node and then all nodes and cameras underneath that node render separately from the normal game world. Then I think on top of that you just need to link that setup to render to a viewport in your container.

If you want a clear solid background, it’s better to use a plain Camera node instead of MicrobeCamera, changing it to fit for that usage would be super hacky.

So like a splitscreen? You could try putting multiple viewport containers in a hboxcontainer and see if that would work. For a general direction on how to set up viewports, hhyyrylainen’s suggestion above sounds about right.

1 Like

Well I don’t really want a solid background. I need a light-colored mesh. solid background is too ugly. And I need the grid too.

What about this?

For reusability I think it would be better to show the image of a species in a tooltip like way when hovering over the name in the report. That way the same functionality would benefit the normal auto-evo results view as well.

Then what about the hex view?

Got the hex

1 Like

That can be exclusive to the exploring tool. I don’t foresee it being a wanted feature elsewhere, at least for now. But putting it in its own scene and script would be helpful in case anyone ever wants it to be available somewhere else as well.

What is ‘history’ on the side? Do you mean ‘generation’?

I turned to directly use PhotoStudio, but multicellular editor generates light cells image Exploring tool generates dark cells like this

Why?

Anything wrong with the generation code?

if (previewSpecies is MicrobeSpecies microbeSpecies)
        {
            task = new ImageTask(new CellType(microbeSpecies.Organelles, microbeSpecies.MembraneType));
            PhotoStudio.Instance.SubmitTask(task);
        }

EDIT: I switched to use new CellType(microbeSpecies) and now it works.

I think instead the microbe species should be made IPhotographable than trying to use a later stage feature to create images of them here.

What about this one? (Compared to the previous viewer)

(I’m so amazed to see that auto-evo has added a nucleus)

I assume you can only select a single species to view at once, which would mean that radio buttons would be the right GUI control to use and not checkboxes. Does Godot not have radio buttons?

Thrive theme has no radio buttons.

Someone should request them, then. Also I’d rather use the right control type even if it is unthemed. The theming can be easily enough added in a later PR.

And in Godot, CheckBox and RadioBox is the same thing. When a CheckBox is assigned with a ButtonGroup, it turns to a RadioBox. When I wrote CustomCheckBox, there was no radio box related texture so I just ignored that part.

APPEND: Will make a pr after radio button textures are added so that CustomCheckBox turns to CustomRadioBox.

1 Like

Here goes the auto-evo exploring tool part II.

Things that I’m going to do:

Design problem I’m facing now:

• With the world-control buttons added, I’ve got nowhere to show stats… except in a new tab.

• Should we save all data for each world for viewing? Or we only save key data? (Then which are those?)

• Same problem for exporting. I need someone who is dealing with auto-evo to tell me what data you need and what you don’t. Or maybe I can make a popup (or even another tab) for users to select what they need?

3 Likes

It might be good for you to look into my predation PR. It hooks into a system that already exists. It might be better for you to create a similar system (That would probably be best for me to use as opposed to the current one.) It’s the best method I could find at the time to pass info from an auto evo run to a species.

Doing that was quite annoying as auto evo is very sectioned off from everything else.