Beneficial effects of colonies and binding

I feel like we need some obvious way to tell this to the player. Otherwise the player will just build their species according to the ATP balance bar in the editor as normal…

That is true. The first thing that comes to mind is simply stating these effects within the tooltip of binding agents, maybe listed in a similar manner to how the effects of membranes are listed as opposed to a long winded description. Though I suppose it can be a bit wordy or confusing to convey when it’s a scaling formula with deltas and such involved… Maybe something like “- X osmoregulation @ 10 cells”.

We could perhaps show the osmoregulation bonus in the balance bar… somehow. But with the way it works right now I am unsure how to do that without making it a rather convoluted mess.

So im going to start this discussion again as the colony wide benefits are on the cusp of becoming a reality.
And im going to say that only the B method kind of makes sense because the early multicellular is supposed to be about placing cells while the later stages would be about placing tissues already, so, i feel method A is reducible to method B.
Also about the photosynthesis problem, we could just program the cells which have that organelle to be sensitive to surface covering (how many cells are connected to it).

Theres also something else of which i thought about in multicellular that might be affected by surface area which is heat dissipation and metabolism. I heard somewhere that the cells of larger animals have a slower metabolic rate otherwise they would explode because cell number scales with the cube while the surface area scales with the square of the size. So, heat and metabolism could also be something that can be considered with multicellular organisms, but they still could be treated as a property of the whole organism not the single cell of that organism.