Microbe Biome Ambience

Considering the release candidate is scheduled for two weeks from now (and I will be leaving for a month of travelling shortly before that) it would be good to implement as much of our progress on the Microbe Stage ambience in time for that.

As of now, we have three new underwater hum ambience tracks designed for three different depth levels. We have not yet created new sounds for hydrothermal vents, ice cracking, water droplets (in a cavern), waves crashing, or water flowing.

We also have not yet coded in the functionality to the game to support biome unique ambience.

As such I suggest that for now we simply replace the three current ambience tracks with the three new ones, just to at least get the work we’ve done so far implemented for the release.

One week. Full 0.5.10 release is in two weeks. Release candidate is on the 17th.

For reference / if someone wants to give this a go:

I’m not fully on board with this, why can’t be have all of the ambiance tracks in the game? That’s the simplest change to make (only requires adding things and no removing).

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think that the quality of the current ambient tracks is not great, with two of the three being particularly poor. The three new ones that Twitchywhalez made are a much higher quality and sound completely different (incorporating low pass filters, reverb, and many other effects), so I don’t think we should mix all six into the same playlist at all.

Yeah I’m going to try to give that a go once I have more free time, though that definitely won’t be before this upcoming release, hence my suggestion above.

Well I won’t approve such a change by myself so, some extra people with ears will need to review the PR making that change. Which may be difficult as I’ve had a very low success rate in getting people with ears to listen to sound changing PRs…

I can make a PR with the three new tracks and publish it for testing.

@Oliveriver do you know if all three current ambient tracks play randomly through all biomes? Because in this PR I would just replace the three .ogg files with the new recordings without changing their filenames. Is there any preference for certain files to play in certain biomes?

I can answer that yes, because we don’t have that context specific track playing feature yet.

1 Like

What’s the process for checking the PRs? I would do it but I don’t have much experience with Github/programming and I’m on a mac so I would imagine it’s either complicated or not possible for me

Ah yeah, that makes it a bit more difficult. That’s because devbuilds are not setup to be made for mac currently (because it would cost quite a bit of extra to have a mac build server as those are way more expensive than Linux servers, and launcher also probably needs code changes to make that work).

Only option right now on mac is to manually checkout the right code using git and then running through the Godot editor. We have setup instructions but I’ll admit that without any previous experience with tools like that, it’s a bit difficult.