~the cilia project~

It would kinda be a waist of time to do all this work on the 2D cell membrane, only to have it be replaced, because we are replacing it in the next update right after this one. If we aren’t making cilia a part, we should wait to implement it, but if we are, we can work on it right now or soon. I would argue making cilia a part ((atleast for now)) is the better idea.

I don’t think switching the membranes from 2d to 3d would have a large effect on this code. The only thing it might change is the shaders (which is how I would implement full-body cillia).

Well, yes, but if we’re doing cilia as a shader, it would be pointless to add them until the cell membrane is 3d. You know what I mean? It’s not like we’re putting 3d cells off either. We’re making it the next update.

In that case, this conversation is irrelevant as we stop merging new code tomorrow.

Well this isn’t for the current update… It’s for the next one— this is planning.

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant-

I guess we’ll come back to it after the update?

the conversation about waiting for 3d membranes

I’m completely lost—

You mean that you agree with making cilia a part?

If the 3D membranes are working next update, which is starting very soon, then we don’t have to worry about not supporting them as they will already be being developed before we could even start work on cillia

So you’re basically saying that we don’t have to worry about cilia not functioning with the membrane, because we will be working on implementing them, and other shaders, along the 3d membrane?

1 Like

I don’t think 3D membranes are going to be in the release after 0.5.8…

I don’t really think so either. An attempt will definitely be made, but it will likely take too long for that.

They aren’t?- Then what is our next update going to focus on?

Probably some random stuff people want to work on. It hasn’t proven effective at all to put things into releases that no one wants to work on as they won’t get done that way. See the previous planning thread for how 0.5.8 release features got selected:
https://forum.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/t/release-planning-for-0-5-8/844/5

If you want to see how it was done before that you can read the earlier threads and compare those to what actually got released.

Gotcha gotcha–

so ig I’ll work on making cilia a part for now, and hopefully someone will want to code it lol

~ a note ~

per HH’s request, the 3D membrane code works off of what already exist. There will be zero changes to the way anything works, and external organelles will still just clip through it. Don’t set your expectations too high. If you make code for cilia where it uses nearest vertex data to position itself along the sides, it will work with 3D membranes the same.

Yeah I think that will work fine.