Let’s talk about founding an association in order to get things on a more solid basis regarding the Thrive project.
Unless someone has a different feasible idea, I say we found an association in Finland.
Here’s a website in English that guides how to do that: https://www.prh.fi/en/yhdistysrekisteri/perustaminen.html
(the same page in Finnish: https://www.prh.fi/fi/yhdistysrekisteri/yhdistyksen_perustajalle.html)
I recommend people to check out some things there to get a better picture of what is needed. But here’s the immediate stuff that’s needed:
- Three members (that would be me + 2)
- Official association rules in Finnish. I suppose I’m the only one who can write them, hopefully with feedback from someone. There is a template here: https://www.prh.fi/stc/forms/yhdistyksen_saantomalli3_etaosallistuminen.doc which is pretty hilarious if you put it through google translate. Once the rules are finished I think it would be good to have a professionally done English translation, which hopefully doesn’t cost too much.
Some important things I found while reading through that website I linked:
- Rules must be in either Swedish or Finnish, so Finnish it is.
- The chairman has to reside in Finland (without special permission application). And probably needs to be over 18, otherwise they can’t enter into legal agreements on behalf of the association
- The 3 founding members must be all over 15. When residing outside Finland the following information is needed (which is a bit brutal if someone who has previously been mostly anonymously participating in Thrive): “If a committee member or a person entitled to sign for the association has no Finnish personal identity code, you will need their date of birth, citizenship, and home address. Enclose a copy of their passport or other identification document with the notification.”
- The registration costs 100 euros and takes like a month and a half. The cost is already well covered with Patreon money, but things like opening bank accounts, a PO box etc. might get a bit more costly.
For the association founding members I’d primarily want people who have been part of Thrive for a while already, but are still at least pretty active.
Please let me know what you think.