New Intro for Thrive

These look really great! I think I prefer the second the most.

Wow, I wouldnā€˜t have expected you to be so sold on this, what an awesome surprise! But alright, in that case I have a few questions:

1. @NickTheNick I assume you mean ā€šGenesisā€˜ by intro music, our current one, right? If thatā€˜s the case, why do you mean I should slow it down? Genesis is 11 seconds long and my videos are all longer than that, if anything I would have to shorten them.
  2. I love genesis, but is it really fitting for this video? I feel like this intros darker colors donā€˜t really match the vibrant, bright feel of Genesis. @Oliveriver, as our expert on all things music-related and, according to bandcamp the composer of Genesis, what do you think?
    In our current intro the appearance of the logo is synchronized with the chord strike of the music. In case we keep genesis, I assume I should make the logo appear about 5 seconds in, right?
  3. Should we make a poll on which version to use?

Sorry for the many questions, but this way I can create the intro that best fits the consensus.

1 Like

Hmm, I see what you mean. While the algal texture is nice it doesnā€™t really have the same level of movement as the current intro, which makes the music a little unsuitable. I could compose something else but I also quite like Genesis so maybe itā€™s better to fit the video to the music rather than the other way round?

I seem to be in the minority of still liking the current intro but Iā€™m open to a new one if we can get it right. These are all nice but perhaps a bit simplistic.

@Oliveriver Donā€˜t get me wrong, I like the current intro too, except maybe for the zoom which seems a bit clumsy and angular to me. Iā€˜m flattered that some of you want to use my intro, but for that very reason Iā€˜m unfit to judge which intro I would prefer objectively. Maybe we should do a poll on if we should replace the intro at all?
And I also would find it quiet sad if we had to replace Genesis as intro jingle. Iā€˜m really torn between the two possibilities. What do those think who havenā€˜t shared their opinion on this yet?

Those video logos look great. Also hello folks. Its been aehile, but i think im back now due to lack of school because full time software development internship, which means i have time to work on thrive (as i donā€™t work on my internship on weekends, which means i can code for you awesome people on weekends)

1 Like

Hey, i really like the textures of the ink clouds. If you still have the recordings i would actuall like to give it a shot at editing a logo/intro video

@Naggorath of course you can try your hand at it, or anyone who wants to really. Iā€˜m quiet positive anyone can edit it better than me because the computer I edited it on is very slow and thus the editig was very clunky. Hereā€˜s a Dropbox link where you hopefully can download the raw footage. There will be some talking and creepy breathing in the background, donā€˜t mind it.

What if we played the algae video at the beginning of the microbe stage
with like a ā€œmicrobe Stageā€ bolded phrase below it?

If we did that, itā€™d make sense to do something similar for the remaining stages, which kinda goes against the idea of smooth, seamless transitions.

Think the scene where the asteroid impacts the planet in spore, thats what im getting at. But for now we could have this as a placeholder microbe intro (always felt like the game instantly starting felt wrong)

Kinda like what you mentioned earlier, except it only happens when you click the new game button.

That way ā€œthrives introā€ and your own ā€œgames introā€ are separate, i dunno i think it would feel better then just instantly starting then getting a blurb about how life just popped up a second ago . It would of course be the ONLY stage with an intro, no other stages get an intro.

1 Like

Ahh, that makes sense then.

yeah i figured that while i was doing main menu stuff in the new engine it would be cool to add some additional immersion things assuming people agree with meof course.

I was originally against the idea for the same reason Naro said, but now that you explained I think thatā€™s actually a really good idea. Itā€™d be cool to add that to the next version!

1 Like

mirror monkey, can i get a .mov version of the thrive intro video you showed us earlier (the 12 second one) I have a new game Microbe Stage intro working and i want the short one. We can replace it later with a proper ā€œplanet introā€ it currently uses one of the algae videos you provided in the zip file

I added the intro to svn. I re-encoded it and removed the sound which had some weird background talking noise and other stuff that made it not feel microbe-y. I also fixed the playing script a bit to actually swap to the microbe GUI after playing.

1 Like

Yes, I can, but the 12s intro is just a section of one of the two longer videos I shared via dropbox. Itā€˜s from the video called ā€žgrĆ¼nealgenstrudelā€œ (green algae vortex). Itā€˜s from about 30 seconds in. If you want to tell me and Iā€˜ll provide you with the .mov of the second intro, but you could also just take it from the long video. In the long video it doesnā€˜t have the Thrive logo and you might want to put that in there yourself since youā€˜ll add the subtitle of ā€žmicrobe stageā€œ and itā€˜ll look better if you put those two in it together.
And yes (@hhyyrylainen ), as I said thereā€˜s background noise in the long videos, you can just mute it.

EDIT: Just read on slack that you need it to put in the game now, Iā€˜ll be able to upload it as .mov in about 6-8 hours.

I uploaded them to the same Dropbox folder I linked to before. The video which is titled Thrive Algae Logo 2 on Youtube is called Thrive Algae Logo 5 in the Dropbox folder, 5 is the one youā€˜re looking for. Theyā€˜re in .mp4 and not .mov format tho. I hope that doesnā€˜t pose a problem. Or does it? If you need it in .mov either convert it or tell me and Iā€˜ll try to convert it.

1 Like

Reopening this thread, we need a short but engaging microbe stage intro video

Iā€™m not sure we ā€œneedā€ videos.

If we can get good videos that really add something to the experience of playing the game then thatā€™s great. However Iā€™d rather have nothing than poor videos as they just make the experience worse.

I got Quantom Crab on it.

1 Like