Organelle count based compound capacity scaling (oxytoxy, slime)

The basic idea is to scale how much capacity for Mucilage/OxyToxy with the amount of Slime Jets and Toxin Vacuoles/Oxytoxysomes.
This same logic could also apply to other compounds (e.x. Iron scaling with Rusticyanin) however, it needs to be discussed which compounds (if any at all) should scale like this.

I’ll also note that this is now possible as CompoundBag can now handle different capacities for different compounds

1 Like

I’m against making this apply for all compounds, as at that point we might as well remove the general “storage” concept entirely.

It was brought up before that oxytoxy could use this kind of storage as fundamentally the created toxin ought to be stored in the oxytoxy “vacuoles” before emitting it.

The one problem I see with this design is that it makes storage even less important. Already players mostly ignore the vacuole or other ways to increase their storage. Doing this change would make storage even less important. Does anyone have thoughts about those points?

1 Like

About storage being unimportant, I really think it should play a much larger role in the game. Currently storage is basically only a factor when it comes to phototrophes and the day/night cycle.

In my opinion the player should have much less storage available in general. Organelles (such as Metabolosomes, Mitochondria, etc…) should not give as much storage (if any at all) as they do now, forcing the player to add storage organelles to survive.

This of course would probably need a lot of balancing, and is pretty radical so I understand if it is decided not to implement this.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure about a total rework of storage myself, though I agree that it would be a relatively simple way to help liven up the strategy side of Thrive. Just as long as players can understand the importance of it.

I say it’s worth prototyping if it gets enough support, as it shouldn’t be too difficult of a change to adapt now-existing functionality to the rest of the organelles.

If we did go this route, I would say things would need to be pretty sparing about the amount of storage they give. So most parts would on average give 0.5 additional specific storage. More parts would give no storage. And storage oriented parts such as cytoplasm and vacuoles would give something like 4 and 8 general storage respectively.

As an aside, this does present the interesting possibility of greatly expanding potential ATP pools for certain mechanical purposes should the need arise… I kind of want to experiment with making parts give ATP storage now.

That was basically exactly what I was thinking when I first suggested this, I think it is worthwhile investigating how this would affect gameplay as the technical/programming side of things shouldn’t be too hard as all the infrastructure is already there.

It would be better to store glucose instead of ATP (if I understood what you meant by that). I agree that storage should be more important and instead of scaling storage with the organelles the vacuoles could be modified to store specific compounds. This would be more accurate to irl storage as well I think and open up a new way for complex carbohydrate storage like I’ve mentioned before.

Here before planning a ton of stuff, I think we should get this done first so that we have a proper system for storing energy as glucose:

1 Like

I can probably get this done, but I will need an artist to make the model for me. I’ve been busy lately, but that addition shouldn’t be too bad.

Edit: I just noticed that the model is already done. Might take a shot at it soon then.

1 Like

That’d be awesome. In most cases once an organelle is implemented and I threaten the art team that it’s going to be a white cube in the next release, that usually results in someone making a model for the organelle pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I was referring to the game mechanics of expanded ATP storage (Which is basically how much ATP you have available to consume). Think of it as a stamina bar. ATP has always been directly tied to the overall storage capacity of your cell, but now that we can decouple that, we could potentially introduce variance between parts. For instance, mitochondria could potentially raise your ATP storage specifically and result in expanded “stamina reserves” which could be very useful later on when we have abilities that require surplus ATP such as sprinting.

Now, I’m not saying we should do that. But the potential is there should we need to, and that is neat.

1 Like