So i mentioned in the development discord server that colonies could be a good gameplay addition to the game, so i’m making this thread to brainstorm some ideas into something more concrete.
My ideas so far are as follow:
- There are colonies in the map, and their location is permanent (if you move away and go back the colony is still there). They should be different in different biomes, and not too close to one another.
- The player can in the editor choose to become a colony, and if they do they will spawn a colony wherever they opened the editor (the biggest decision on where to create a colony being the nearby npc colonies).
- Whenever a player dies they would spawn in the colony, instead of on a random spot like now.
- Eukaryotes would unlock more mechanics for the colonies than prokaryotes.
- There could be dymorphism (maybe locked behind the nucleus?) where one type of cell moves and doesn’t reproduce and another reproduces and doesn’t move, and the player could play as the second type and bring compounds to the first type. this is somewhat inspired by this algae.
- Colony cells would defend eachother, and will attack any foreign cell that gets too close to a colony, making attacking a colony dangerous (but potentially very profitable). It would also make respawning safer for the player.
What do you think? (especially the biology people since i can’t biology)