Concept Art Tasks

Here is a list of topics that all artists can illustrate. Tasks will be often updated and team’s requests added.
Tasks are loosely arranged from highest priority (top) to lowest (bottom).

Microbe stage

• Concepts for the new mechanics. We’ve talked about adding toxicity and radiation. How would those dangers be comunicated to the player? Would they be mainly represented in the UI or in the environment?

• UI concepts. The planet generator is a big upcoming feature and it needs a proper UI. We already have concepts for it, but it’s good to have different proposals for one feature.

• Procedurally generated rocks, ice and other objects. - What shapes, sizes would they be, would they appear in clusters?

• Organelle concepts, we plan to add new organelles and we already have some proposals here. We also want to make variants of existing organelles, like the pilus. How would each version be different from the rest?

• Water currents. - How to clearly show the flow of water.

• 3D based backgrounds. - How colors, particles, and effects would create a background for microorganisms in different biomes?

• Textures on mesh based microbes. - How different membrane types would look in 3D?

• 3D microbe stage. - How would you imagine microcosmos in three dimensions?

• Microbe promotional art. - An illustration of your idea.

Multicellular Stage

• Visual transition from unicellular to multicellular. - What kind of gameplay will we see while being a microscopic multicellular organism. How the scale, colors and shades would change as you progres?

• Terrain generation. - How would rock, sand and ice form depending on the planet.

• Multicellular organism textures. - How would the textures look on microscopic and macroscopic multicellular organisms? Which texture types would be the most important?

• Multicellular promotional art. - An illustration of your idea.

Later stages

This part of the game doesn’t need special concept art at the moment but you’re free to illustrate your ideas.

Art direction tips: Do some research and use references for your ideas to make them more scientifically accurate. It’s very helpful to know the basics of creating a game to be aware of the limitations and ways to implement your idea.

1 Like

Gonna share my own tasks here too.

• Concepts for the new mechanics. We’ve talked about adding toxicity and radiation. How would those dangers be comunicated to the player? Would they be mainly represented in the UI or in the environment?

• UI concepts. The planet generator is a big upcoming feature and it needs a proper UI. We already have concepts for it, but it’s good to have different proposals for one feature.

• Organelle concepts, we plan to add new organelles and we already have some proposals here. We also want to make variants of existing organelles, like the pilus. How would each version be different from the rest?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen any concepts related to the planned energy balance bar.
I made a basic concept:
ATP balance bar
Basically a split bar where the top is ATP production and bottom is the osmoregulation + use when moving around. The maximum value would automatically adjust to fit the bars (but wouldn’t always make one of the bars be to the right to make changes more visible).

I didn’t place it in the editor GUI. Some artist should do a much better concept than I can.

Edit: I’ve been reminded we do have some atp usage bar concepts, however there isn’t a concept for where to put the bar in the current editor.