With 0.6.0 out now (and a feedback thread open) it’s time once again to talk about the next release. I think we should aim to have 0.6.1 out sometime in February (maybe around the middle?). With me taking last 2 weeks off in December and other people also being seemingly pretty inactive I don’t think there’s any way to squeeze in a small fixing release.
With that preface out of the way, I’ve opened a milestone for 0.6.1 already and I put some stuff from 0.6.0 that didn’t get done in it.
Here’s the milestone: Release 0.6.1 Milestone · GitHub
And here are some of the things I put there for me or other people to work on:
- Compound clouds should not allow negative compound taking · Issue #3927 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub This should be fixed ASAP to get as much testing as possible, as a bandaid fix was put out in 0.6.0
- Do something about the gameplay and performance impact of reproduced player colonies that stick around · Issue #3812 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub I’ll add that Thanos snap we talked on stream about
- Make time based reproduction work with early colony gameplay · Issue #3655 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub this needs some gameplay design or I can just make it so that it dumps free stuff into compound storage
- Go through and fix all GUI Control focused state visuals · Issue #3808 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub I’ll try to tackle most of these
- Add graceful fossil error handling · Issue #3861 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub I’m hoping @Oliveriver will be able to work on this (maybe along with Add button to delete fossils in the museum · Issue #3930 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub ?)
- Basic cilia attraction mechanism by Kasterisk · Pull Request #3480 · Revolutionary-Games/Thrive · GitHub hopefully I’ll have enough time to finally get around to this and start expanding the organelle upgrade system
Besides those I’ll be working on:
- Updating the NetAnalyzers in Thrive to 7.0.0, which results in about 1700 warnings about fields not being disposed. That’s all NodePaths and Godot resources. I’m thinking that should be handled by actually disposing everything properly
- main menu needs the main news feed in it
- making menu buttons expand to accommodate really wide translation texts without making the buttons appear uneven
- popup a warning if Thrive steam initialization fails, right now just outputs message “Failed to init Steam”
- Thrive package platform handling in PackageTool.cs should be moved to the common file so that people who add new values will realize to add them there as well
ThriveProperties.GetBasePlatformPartOfFolderName was forgotten, also the steam build handling names should probably go there as well
And if I have any time left over I’ll maybe get back to the prototypes as well if there aren’t other important stuff that keeps popping up / I can get through enough of my long term TODO list.
I did promise we’d also start on the roadmap now. So I think the first about 8 issues (before the toxin customization) could be picked for this milestone:
- Implement upgrades/specialization system (basic implementation done) Related issue: Implement rest of the organelle upgrades framework
- Implement part unlocking mechanic (with endosymbiosis lite being one option)
- If the player can’t engulf something they attempted to engulf it should be clarified why
- Ingested Matter amount can be NaN (there should now be enough of a workaround, but the actual source of NaNs is not fixed)
- Chemoreceptor should have option to detect other cells
- Rename predatory pili to a more neutral term
Tutorial should be prevented if game is entered through the auto-evo exploring toolthis was already done
- Cilia upgrades and pull mechanic (basic implementation done)
That might be a bit much but anything that isn’t done will just be moved back to 0.6.2.
So that’s basically from my side all the things related to 0.6.1. Any thoughts about this? And well if there’s anything else you’d like to focus on you can let people know what you are hoping to work on / finish.