I’ll make two lists, a list of everything that I think would be the most important to try to implement soon, and a list of features that I can personally try to contribute towards. The list of future features is not in any particular order.
It’s a long list, and I’m not saying we need to implement EVERYTHING on it; I’m just putting it here so we have a place to refer to.
Important Future Features
1. New UI. It looks great and the sooner we can implement it the better!
2. Fluid mechanics and currents. Having fluids that move the cell and things in the environment around will both add to the sense of immersion as well as make sessile organisms more viable.
3. Dynamic backgrounds. Getting rid of the static background images with the static bubbles. Adding dynamic bubbles instead, with blur and visual signs of water movement. Also cells that move in the background. I think this will hugely improve the game’s visuals and immersion!
4. Species migrations. The ability for species to migrate between patches will be huge in making the world a living breathing ecosystem separate from the player, and make him feel like a small piece within it. For example, if you evolve to become a prokaryote before entering a patch there’s a chance that prokaryotes will never reach that patch.
5. Improved tutorials and help menus. I think a small tutorial at the beginning can make the game more accessible for new players that we bring into the community. It doesn’t even have to be a finalized tutorial, just something placeholder so the game is easier to get into. It would also be cool to replace the help menu with a first version of the Thrivepedia!
6. Reduce compound yield from engulfing organelles/cells to 25%. Then add lysosomes as a new organelle, and they increase the compound yield you get from engulfing to 50%. It’s a little too easy to harvest compounds from engulfing organelles right now, and this would allow us to add the lysosomes organelle to the game.
7. New ambient SFX like bubble sounds, underwater echos, etc. The gameplay does sound a little quiet right now.
8. Fix species renaming. It would be a nice QoL feature.
9. Tooltips for cell stats in the editor (speed, generations, osmoregulation cost, etc.) At the moment I think a lot of players don’t initially know how to interpret these.
10. Dynamic tooltips. Make it so that tooltips automatically pull information from the data files of organelles or stats or whatever they are linked to, so that if the values of the organelle are changed so is the tooltip.
11. Reduce the speed of cells that are being engulfed.
12. Simple Auto-Evo algorithm. Using the auto-evo thread we can try to create a simple version of auto-evo for now?
13. Radial blur on the screen.
Features I Can Help With
Auto-Evo. Depending on how far I manage to progress before the next update, I may or may not be able to create a simple Auto-Evo algorithm for the Microbe Stage based off of what I’m working on in the auto-evo thread. The good news is that the Microbe Stage version of auto-evo doesn’t need the entire algorithm (since features like intelligence, flying, terrestrial life, and more are irrelevant), but the bad news is the algorithm is a hefty project and may progress at a slow pace.
Improved tutorials and help menus. I can help write the tutorial entries and entries for the Thrivepedia.
Dynamic tooltips. After working on the new organelle tooltips I can give a shot to the dynamic tooltips, but it’d be a lower priority for me than the auto-evo algorithm which I think is the most important feature that would be good to finish sooner rather than later.