With my prototypes coming along nicely, I think I’ll be ready within a year to start pushing the microbe stage towards completion so that we’d finally be able to say that we have a “finished” stage.
In order to do that we need to come to a decision as to what are the necessary features (and what can be left out for really enthusiastic people to push forward and implement themselves) for the microbe stage.
For reference here’s the backlog wiki page:
I think all the high priority, planned and accessory features should be thrown in the finished roadmap with the following changes:
- Reworking the spawn system (only if necessary), and this should be one of the last things to do like in 0.9.x version range, as we got a partial rework of the spawn system already
- Allow player to play any species occupied patch upon death/reproduction (should be a new game option only available in easy mode in my opinion)
From the debatable features I’d like to keep the following (so anything not mentioned will be kept in the debatable features and not make it into the roadmap):
- Damage delay or knockback for offensive pili
- Compound Toxicity and Environmental tolerance
- Implement diffusion of compounds and gasses between patches (dynamic gas compounds is at least a part of this)
- Add hydrogenase
- Environmental events
- Launcher for mac (proper support, and investigate if we can do code signed builds or not), proper mac support (I’m still hoping to open a thread to talk about this and ask the fans to wishlist the mac version to make sure there’s enough demand to cover the hardware and license costs)
- Improved microbe backgrounds
- Toxin system customization and rework
- Rework player starting compounds to allow for more flexibility (we probably should show this in the editor and let the player pick as long as the total amount is below some threshold)
One feature I’m dreading needing to implement but I’d like to keep anyway due to it being very important (and we may want to start trying to recruit a graphics programmer right away to be able to):
- Improve water currents functionality and visibility
And here’s a few items I think need to be added to the roadmap:
- Reworked auto-evo report to be much more graphical, also auto-evo prediction
- Expanded tutorials, maybe even a hand holding mode, though as this is a lot of effort, that should be left until the 0.9.x releases.
With the features roughly thrown based on my time consumption estimate into the following ranges, for clarity I didn’t put all of them yet here, but when this discussion is finished I’ll do that and update the wiki:
- 0.6 upgrade system, part unlocks (with endosymbiosis lite being one option), binding benefit balancing and bug fixing, pili balancing, toxin rework and general combat balancing
- 0.7 thriveopedia, changing light levels, stamina, food chain, improved auto-evo report, changing gas amounts, hydrogenase
- 0.8 planet generation and customization, better patch terrain, radiotrophs, compound toxicity, environmental effects
- 0.9 achievements, thermoplasts, migrations, official mac support, microbe background improvements, bioluminescense
We’ll also need to throw in important bugs that affect the features or overall playability of the game.
Once the features listed for 0.6 are done, we’ll call the release with those done 0.7, and so on. So 1.0 will be when all the features listed in 0.9 are finished. I highly doubt we can put out a 1.0 release with not that many bugs, but still I think that’s important enough milestone that we don’t want to leave a ton of game enjoyability affecting bugs or bugs that get reported often.
Please share your thoughts.